Can I bring my Family to Australia Permanently?

GAMC > Blogs and News > Visa Consultants > Can I bring my Family to Australia Permanently?
Can I bring my Family to Australia Permanently
April 20, 2023

If this is the question coming in to your mind, the answer is yes, but it depends on many other factors you cannot ignore.

Every year, the immigration of Australia sets a number of visas that can be granted during that year and a good number of visas are being allocated to different visas specifically designed for family members of Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible NZ citizens. This could be temporary residence visa or permanent residence visa, publicly known as PR or TR of Australia.

If we are talking about family category visas, following visas are coming quickly in mind.

  • Partner visa
  • Child visa
  • Parent visa

How can this visa be applied, depends on who is living in Australia and what is their immigration status (visa status or citizenship); and what is the purpose and requirement of visa applicant who is applying visa. For instance, if you or your family member have temporary residence visa, the family member may be able to apply subsequent entry on it.

Partner visa

This visa is for spouse, de facto partner or fiancée of Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia. Fiancée can apply for a temporary short-term visa called Prospective Marriage Visa. This visa allows them to enter Australia and to marry their fiancée in Australia. If you are married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may apply Partner Visa. In general, you need to pass through a 2-stage process for this visa. You will be given stage-1 visa initially and after 2 years, you will be given the permanent visa after satisfying some requirements, which is stage 2 of the whole process. Basically, it is a prime requirement to show the relationship is genuine and the couple is living together permanently. There are many factors affecting this requirement.

If you are divorced or separated, your case may become a very complex one. Your application may be affected by sponsor’s eligibility. Contact us for further clarification and hire our legal services.

Child visa

Generally, children are being included in parents’ migration visa applications. But if somehow, your child was not included or granted visa, they may be able to apply child visa later. Your child must be dependent on you to be eligible to apply. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia. Child visa is a permanent residence visa which will ultimately allow to apply citizenship by satisfying its requirements.

If you are a child and your parents are expired and you have eligible relative who is citizen or permanent resident of Australia, you may be able to apply Orphan Relative visa. Importantly, this is a permanent residence visa.

Parent visa

There are many different visas fall under parent visa category, such as Parent visa, Contributory Parent visa, etc. Please visit family migration page on our website for details. The main aim of these visas, is to allow parents of citizen or permanent resident of Australia to reunite with their child(ren). The most important requirement of these visas is to satisfy balance of family test. This can be met if at least half of the children are living in Australia as citizen or permanent resident or you have more children living in Australia as citizen or permanent resident than any other country in the world.

There are many types of parent visas available of Australia. Some of them require you to be in Australia (onshore) and some require you to be outside Australia (offshore) depending on its requirements. Parent visas are granted under caping and queueing system implemented by the immigration department.

Are you considering to bring other family relatives such as siblings, cousin, aunt, uncle, or others to Australia on temporary or permanent basis? This may be possible if you and they meet certain requirements. Do contact us to know further info.

Temporary Residence Visa (Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa)

This is a provisional visa which lets the holder to remain in regional area of Australia. If you are permanent resident or citizen of Australia, you may be able to sponsor your eligible relative to apply for this visa if you are residing in regional area of Australia and satisfy the sponsorship requirements.

Basic requirements of sponsor (including but not limited to):

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Usually residing in area defined as designated regional area (DRA)
  • Permanent resident or citizen of Australia
  • Eligible relative of applicant

Eligible relation (in brief):

  • Parent,
  • Child or step-child,
  • Brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister,
  • Aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle,
  • Nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece,
  • Grandparent, or
  • First cousin

Basic requirements of applicant (including but not limited to):

  • Pass points test (minimum score 65)
  • Age is less than 45
  • Achieve at least competent level in any of the acceptable English tests
  • Be sponsored by eligible relative (or nominated by Australian state / territory Govt.)
  • Genuinely intends to live in designated regional area of Australia (DRA of Australia) after visa grant
  • Get successful skills assessment
  • Satisfy health and character requirements

You may be eligible to apply Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa while holding this visa by satisfying requirements.

Visa application is not just merely filling form and submit to immigration department. Rather it is a very complex matter of Migration Laws. We, Gold-Australia Migration Consultants, can help you in understanding the complex requirements of visa applications, prepare your application and lodge it with Immigration Australia. Contact us for appointing us to act on behalf of you for your migration process.