subclass 173
Contributory Parent (temp.) Visa

  • This visa allows you to
  • remain in Australia temporarily
GAMC > Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173)

Do you have problems in finding a consultant :

We, as your consultant :

Your benefits :

Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173)


We can examine each circumstance of your case cautiously for applying contributory parent visa (including permanent and temporary options) and consider the family balance test vigilantly to assist you to apply the parent visa. The family balance test is the key criterion in parent visa application.

This visa allows you to live in Australia for up to 2 years and also gives you work rights. You will be able to apply Contributory Parent visa subclass 143 visa while holding this visa. You can’t reapply this visa.


Some criteria including but not limited to, can be described as below.

  • Your child must be Australian Citizen or Permanent Residence Visa holder or be eligible New Zealand Citizen.
  • Your child must be settled in Australia.
  • Your child sponsors you.
  • You must meet the requirements of Balance of Family test.
  • You must satisfy health requirements (medical check-up).
  • You must satisfy character requirements (police clearance certificate).
  • You must satisfy all other criteria as defined by the Immigration Department.

You can include your family members in application including dependent child if certain criteria are met.


When you will be granted this visa, you can

  • Live in Australia for up to 2 years as per visa conditions.
  • Can get benefits of Medicare (Australia’s public healthcare system).
  • Work in Australia.
  • Have multiple entry.
  • Subclass 173 visa holders can apply for subclass 143 (permanent visa) later (by doing this, you can effectively spread the costs of Contributory Parent visa in 2 steps).

Please note: Many visa categories have requirements of capping and queuing of visas granted by Immigration Department of Australia each year. This means that Immigration issues certain numbers of visas each year and limits the number by legal ways. Other applications remain in queue and process in the next year. This generates long waiting queue which may affect your desires.

Claim you free consultation to check whether you can migrate.

Other family visa categories

Are you a relative of an Australian citizen or permanent resident and looking for information about migration in one of the following categories?

Are you interested to migrate to Australia?

Register Your Interest

FAQ(s) about migrating to Australia under family visa categories

Immigration to Australia
What is ‘capping and queueing’?

‘Capping and Queueing’ is a process implemented by the immigration department of Australia for granting some of family category visas e.g. parent visa. Immigration department determines certain number of visas for each financial year for some visa and after reaching that number of visa grant, other pending applications are queued to be processed next year.

I am married to an Australian citizen/PR just now. Can I apply partner visa right now or do I need to wait for some time?

You may apply partner visa now if you satisfy all other criteria. Marriage is just one of the criteria need to be satisfied.

Can I apply partner visa even if I am not married to my partner?

You may or you may not. There are many other circumstances and criteria need to be considered. Each case requires case-to-case advise.

Can my parents apply parents visa (permanent) if ‘Balance of Family’ test is not satisfied but I sponsor them?

Sponsorship is mandatory for ‘Parents Visa’ application; hence it does not create any specific additional advantage. Balance of Family test is also compulsory to be satisfied.