subclass 461
New Zealand Citizen Family

Relationship Visa

  • This visa allows you to
  • remain in Australia indefinitely
GAMC > New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (sc 461)

Do you have problems in finding a consultant :

We, as your consultant :

Your benefits :

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (sc 461)


This temporary residence visa permits you to remain in Australia for 5 years. If you are not New Zealand citizen but family member of a New Zealand citizen, then this is the option for you. The New Zealand citizen should hold and will hold Special Category Visa (subclass 444). The definition of Member of Family Unit becomes important here.

You may be eligible to apply this visa more than once to stay longer in Australia.

Summary of Criteria (eligibility)

You must:

  • Not be a New Zealand citizen.
  • Be a family member of a New Zealand citizen (holds subclass 444 visa).
  • Not be a member of an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Satisfy health and character requirements.
  • Satisfy all other requirements as set out in Australian Immigration Laws.
  • Note: beware – primary criteria applies to all.


You can:

  • Stay in Australia for 5 years.
  • Work and study.
  • Include members of your family in application.
  • Travel in and out Australia as many times as you wish.
  • Apply this visa again if you intend to live longer.

Other family visa categories

Are you a relative of an Australian citizen or permanent resident and looking for information about migration in one of the following categories?

Are you interested to migrate to Australia?

Register Your Interest

FAQ(s) about migrating to Australia under family visa categories

Immigration to Australia
What is ‘capping and queueing’?

‘Capping and Queueing’ is a process implemented by the immigration department of Australia for granting some of family category visas e.g. parent visa. Immigration department determines certain number of visas for each financial year for some visa and after reaching that number of visa grant, other pending applications are queued to be processed next year.

I am married to an Australian citizen/PR just now. Can I apply partner visa right now or do I need to wait for some time?

You may apply partner visa now if you satisfy all other criteria. Marriage is just one of the criteria need to be satisfied.

Can I apply partner visa even if I am not married to my partner?

You may or you may not. There are many other circumstances and criteria need to be considered. Each case requires case-to-case advise.

Can my parents apply parents visa (permanent) if ‘Balance of Family’ test is not satisfied but I sponsor them?

Sponsorship is mandatory for ‘Parents Visa’ application; hence it does not create any specific additional advantage. Balance of Family test is also compulsory to be satisfied.