subclass 864
Contributory Aged Parent Visa

  • This visa allows you to
  • remain in Australia indefinitely
GAMC > Contributory Aged Parent Visa (subclass 864)

Do you have problems in finding a consultant :

We, as your consultant :

Your benefits :

Contributory Aged Parent Visa (subclass 864)


Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864) is a permanent residence visa allows the visa holder to live in Australia indefinitely. While holding this visa you can work, live and study anywhere in Australia.

You must have to be of retirement age to apply and to be granted this visa. you must have to be in Australia and need an eligible sponsor to apply this visa. Retirement age becomes an important factor here. You can apply this visa if you are the holder of Contributory Aged Parent (temporary) subclass 884 visa.

Summary of Criteria (Eligibility)

You must

  • Be of certain age (see table below).
  • Be sponsored by eligible child.
  • Satisfy balance of family test.
  • Meet health requirement.
  • Meet character requirement.
  • And other requirements as set out in Australian Laws.

The applicant must be of pension age. The pension age will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below.

Period within which a person was bornPension ageDate pension age changes
From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 195365 years and 6 months1 July 2017
From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 195566 years1 July 2019
From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 195666 years and 6 months1 July 2021
From 1 January 1957 onwards67 years1 July 2023


You can:

  • Live, work and study by staying in Australia permanently.
  • Include family members in application.
  • Get benefits of Australia’s public health cover (Medicare).
  • Multiple entry visa.

Claim you free consultation to check whether you can migrate.

Other family visa categories

Are you a relative of an Australian citizen or permanent resident and looking for information about migration in one of the following categories?

Are you interested to migrate to Australia?

Register Your Interest

FAQ(s) about migrating to Australia under family visa categories

Immigration to Australia
What is ‘capping and queueing’?

‘Capping and Queueing’ is a process implemented by the immigration department of Australia for granting some of family category visas e.g. parent visa. Immigration department determines certain number of visas for each financial year for some visa and after reaching that number of visa grant, other pending applications are queued to be processed next year.

I am married to an Australian citizen/PR just now. Can I apply partner visa right now or do I need to wait for some time?

You may apply partner visa now if you satisfy all other criteria. Marriage is just one of the criteria need to be satisfied.

Can I apply partner visa even if I am not married to my partner?

You may or you may not. There are many other circumstances and criteria need to be considered. Each case requires case-to-case advise.

Can my parents apply parents visa (permanent) if ‘Balance of Family’ test is not satisfied but I sponsor them?

Sponsorship is mandatory for ‘Parents Visa’ application; hence it does not create any specific additional advantage. Balance of Family test is also compulsory to be satisfied.