subclass 884
Contributory Aged Parent (temp.) Visa

  • This visa allows you to
  • remain in Australia temporarily
GAMC > Contributory Aged Parent (Temp.) Visa (subclass 884)

Do you have problems in finding a consultant :

We, as your consultant :

Your benefits :

Contributory Aged Parent (Temp.) Visa (subclass 884)


The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 884) is an option for older parents to live in Australia with their child if the child is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The Contributory Aged Parent subclass 884 visa is a temporary residence visa which gives the holder right to live in Australia for two years. When the parents decide to stay in Australia permanently, they can apply for the Contributory Aged Parent subclass 864 visa before the expiry of temporary subclass 884 visa. As the name suggest, this visa is for aged parent who satisfy age criterion (must be old enough). To be granted this visa, the applicants need to be sponsored by their child.

Summary of Criteria (Eligibility)

You must:

  • Be of certain age (see table below).
  • Be sponsored by eligible child.
  • Satisfy balance of family test.
  • Meet health requirement.
  • Meet character requirement.
  • And other requirements as set out in Australian Laws.

The applicant must be of pension age. The pension age will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below.

Period within which a person was bornPension ageDate pension age changes
From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 195365 years and 6 months1 July 2017
From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 195566 years1 July 2019
From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 195666 years and 6 months1 July 2021
From 1 January 1957 onwards67 years1 July 2023


You can:

  • Live, work and study up to 2 years.
  • Include family members in application.
  • Apply for permanent residence visa (Contributory Aged Parent subclass 864) when become eligible.
  • Multiple entry visa.

Are you confused? Please don’t. Claim you free consultation to check whether you can migrate.

Other family visa categories

Are you a relative of an Australian citizen or permanent resident and looking for information about migration in one of the following categories?

Are you interested to migrate to Australia?

Register Your Interest

FAQ(s) about migrating to Australia under family visa categories

What is ‘capping and queueing’?

‘Capping and Queueing’ is a process implemented by the immigration department of Australia for granting some of family category visas e.g. parent visa. Immigration department determines certain number of visas for each financial year for some visa and after reaching that number of visa grant, other pending applications are queued to be processed next year.

I am married to an Australian citizen/PR just now. Can I apply partner visa right now or do I need to wait for some time?

You may apply partner visa now if you satisfy all other criteria. Marriage is just one of the criteria need to be satisfied.

Can I apply partner visa even if I am not married to my partner?

You may or you may not. There are many other circumstances and criteria need to be considered. Each case requires case-to-case advise.

Can my parents apply parents visa (permanent) if ‘Balance of Family’ test is not satisfied but I sponsor them?

Sponsorship is mandatory for ‘Parents Visa’ application; hence it does not create any specific additional advantage. Balance of Family test is also compulsory to be satisfied.