subclass 309-100 / 820-801
Partner Visa

  • This visa allows you to
  • remain in Australia permanently
GAMC > Partner (Spouse) Visa (Subclass 309-100 or 820-801)

Do you have problems in finding a consultant :

We, as your consultant :

Your benefits :

Partner (Spouse) Visa (Subclass 309-100 or 820-801)

At Gold-Australia Migration Consultants, we understand the importance of having your spouse with you without any trouble. We are offering our services to assist you in applying this visa. Spouse visa is a combination of 2 separate parts (1) Temporary residence visa – called subclass 309/820 and (2) Permanent residence visa – called subclass 100/801. We can assist you by implementing best practises to apply visa and can act on your behalf to prepare, submit and monitor your visa application with Immigration Department.

You can apply this visa if you are legally married to an eligible person living in Australia. Even if you are not married but living in genuine relationship (this may include same sex relationship) with Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may apply visa under this visa category.

After subclass 309/820, you may need to proceed further for getting subclass 100/801 (permanent visa) to be granted. Discuss with us how can we help you in this matter.

Recently, immigration has announced that for Permanent Visa (second stage) of spouse visa to be granted, applicant and sponsor both need to prove their English Language proficiency by achieving at least functional level in prescribed test. Otherwise, one need to attend proposed English Language class (minimum 500 hours). We are eager to help you in achieving your goals.

Eligibility / Requirements

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Be in a genuine relationship with your spouse who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Have sufficient and comprehensive evidence to support your claims regarding relationship (we can assist you by guiding you about the comprehensive documentation).
  • Be inside or outside of Australia at the time of application and decision.
  • Not had a visa cancelled/revoked or an application refused.
  • Comprehensively satisfy the relationship requirements.
  • Have an eligible sponsor who must satisfy certain requirements.
  • Satisfy Health & Character requirements.
  • Satisfy all other visa requirements under migration law.


  • Stay in Australia till you will be granted your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100/801).
  • Live, Work and study in Australia while being with your spouse.
  • Enjoy multiple entry facilities, travel to and from Australia as many times as you want.
  • Attend English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP).
  • You can include your family members, if any.

Engaged but not married? Fiancé/fiancée relationship means a relationship where a couple is engaged to be married. If you want to enter Australia to marry your fiancé/fiancée, you can apply Prospective Marriage subclass 300 visa.

Note: you may be eligible to apply partner visa instead of Prospective Marriage Visa. Please contact us to check eligibility.

Other family visa categories

Are you a relative of an Australian citizen or permanent resident and looking for information about migration in one of the following categories?

Are you interested to migrate to Australia?

Register Your Interest

FAQ(s) about migrating to Australia under family visa categories

Immigration to Australia
What is ‘capping and queueing’?

‘Capping and Queueing’ is a process implemented by the immigration department of Australia for granting some of family category visas e.g. parent visa. Immigration department determines certain number of visas for each financial year for some visa and after reaching that number of visa grant, other pending applications are queued to be processed next year.

I am married to an Australian citizen/PR just now. Can I apply partner visa right now or do I need to wait for some time?

You may apply partner visa now if you satisfy all other criteria. Marriage is just one of the criteria need to be satisfied.

Can I apply partner visa even if I am not married to my partner?

You may or you may not. There are many other circumstances and criteria need to be considered. Each case requires case-to-case advise.

Can my parents apply parents visa (permanent) if ‘Balance of Family’ test is not satisfied but I sponsor them?

Sponsorship is mandatory for ‘Parents Visa’ application; hence it does not create any specific additional advantage. Balance of Family test is also compulsory to be satisfied.